With the rising number of businesses, industrial steel structures are critical investment areas for new companies. You may have seen huge steel structures being built to give a structural base to the building or any commercial place. These structures are essential to carry the load and render a rigid, solid foundation to the building for the proper functioning of a business. Industrial steel structures are mainly used to have a fast construction process widely required in all types of industries and public spaces.
Primarily, the process of erecting a steel structure requires assembling different types of steel components into an accessible framework. This framework design holds the integrity of the complete building. To position each element firmly, site welding is done to connect the framework appropriately.
Since this becomes a crucial step in building the foundation of any building, one must avoid some mistakes to get optimal results from the industrial steel structure.
In addition, the mistakes done would affect the construction efficiency for you and hit directly at the project cost, making it much more difficult for you altogether. Therefore, the need not to make any blunders while handling industrial steel structures is critical.
Let’s discuss some of the frequently made mistakes you should avoid to get the most from your project!
1. Starting the construction on an unprepared site – Before initiating a construction process, the most crucial step is to clean the installation site and its surroundings. A lack of cleanliness may harm the efficiency of the workers working on the installation site. In many cases, there is no adequate driveway space for delivery trucks, construction workers, installers, etc. Ensure that there is an easy way to transport and connect to essential utilities like electricity or water. As far as the non-required materials for the construction are concerned, the roads leading to the main construction site must also be kept unoccupied to make sure the entry and exit of steel transport vehicles are smooth.
2. Install Directly Without Following Requirements – Inconsistent functions of a few workers could bring multiple modifications in the project’s actual planned foundation and could result in unrequired alterations. The workforce must frequently communicate with the project design team to avoid such situations. They have to make sure that the installation of steel structures is precisely done in accordance with the plan.
3. Ignore Safety Regulations – Most construction accidents occur when necessary safety protocols and regulations are not adhered to or are taken lightly. Construction injuries are pretty frequent on sites. Therefore it is indispensable to avoid them. To do so, each workforce labor of the construction project must follow the necessary safety norms, such as wearing site gear, safety suits, helmets, and complying with the contractor’s plans and instructions. Moreover, the site inspectors must consider labor insurance plans to secure their workforce with critical monetary aid.
4. Not Using Cranes Or Forklifts For Unloading – There are situations where site workers avoid using cranes, forklifts or both, and manually transfer the hefty steel structures. It is usually done to save transport/crane and forklift rental costs. But, as simple as it may sound, manually moving industrial steel structures could be very dangerous. It is very dangerous to not use a crane or forklift for material transfer. Therefore, it becomes the main mistake you should avoid. Moreover, if the steel structures are damaged during the manual transfer, it may unnecessarily increase the project cost.
5. Incorrect Installation Of Fasteners – Iron fasteners support the hefty steel structures and keep the roof and adjacent framework stable and rigid. However, since it is a petty task, some workers tend to shy away from doing it correctly and install the fasteners incorrectly. It becomes a safety threat for the complete structure, but it also increases the workload that may come later. Thus, closely paying attention to every fastener joint is essential and beneficial for the project.
6. Random Stepping On Roof Panels – Finally, walking on or around loosely fastened steel roof panels is unsafe. They could be dangerous if they are not well connected to the framework. It could threaten the worker’s life and damage the roof panel, resulting in additional shift hours and costs. It also could lead to deformation of the steel and may hamper its sturdiness in the long run. For that reason, avoiding stepping on the steel roof panel could be an easy thing that one must do.
Are you interested to know more about industrial steel and its fabricated components? Coastal Steel Structures is your perfect helping hand. We provide our expertise from our extensive services’ experience and our team of professionals will walk you through the construction process step-by-step with transparency. Visit our website to book an appointment to learn more about the vast array of services we offer. Contact Coastal Steel Structures today!