Due to high durability and tensile strength, metal buildings have always been people’s first choice for storage, workshops, and garages. The endless advantages of metal buildings make them one of the best options to store and secure everything under their durable roofs. According to a study, between 2009 and 2017, structural steel held the largest market share in terms of construction material.
But apart from longevity, another crucial aspect focused in contemporary times while constructing a well-designed metal building is it’s sustainability. Metal buildings are considered the construction industry’s future for their sustainable approach and robustness. Due to the increasing demand for sustainable industrial metal buildings, the need for green construction has also climbed up within the global construction market. According to Statista, the number of Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified projects in the US has risen from 296 certifications in 2006 to around 67200 in 2018.
Why is Sustainability Crucial For A Industrial Metal Building?
Undoubtedly, the industrial revolution has contributed a lot to global economic growth, but it significantly came at the cost of the environment. Today, the population, economy, and demand for resources are increasing at the speed of light. However, neither the size of the earth will expand nor the resources available for the humankind. As per a report by Statista, by the year 2100, the estimated global population can reach up to 11 billion. Since the resources are depleting fast, it becomes essential to use them judiciously and sustainably. That’s why sustainable development has been considered, especially when it comes to the industrial revolution.
Some Facts Related to the Industrial Metal Building and Auto-motive Construction Market You Should Know About
The construction activities and metal building have been one of the primary sources of revenue for a country since the industrial revolution.
- As per Statista, the global construction equipment market size was about 139.85 billion US dollars in 2020, and it reached 146.36 billion US dollars in 2021. It is estimated to earn around 175.57 billion US dollars by 2025.
- The revenue generated by prefabricated metal building and components in 2016 was about 7208.43 million US dollars. It is forecasted to reach approximately 8267.52 million US dollars by 2022.
- The revenue from prefabricated metal building and component manufacturing in New York alone will reach 63.2 million US dollars by 2024.
- In 2020, the building industry was the largest single segment in terms of the advanced energy global market. It is estimated to have generated revenue of approximately 146.5 billion US dollars.
Of all the metals used in the construction field, Steel has always been one of the critical players outshining the list by margins. Here are some stats about steel in industrial and automotive metal buildings.
- In 2020, researchers calculated the average world crude steel production to be more than 1.86 billion metric tons.
- As per the 2019 reports, China was the leading global steel producer with over 30 million metric tons. On the other hand, the European Union was the top steel importer globally, with an import volume of more than 40 million metric tons of steel.
- It is projected that the consumption of the prefabricated steel building market in the USA will reach around 23.2 million metric tons by 2025.
- According to the International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers (OICA) report, 91.8 million vehicles were produced globally in 2019. Also, on average, almost 900 kg of steel is used to make a single-vehicle.
Some Key Sustainability Benefits of Metal Buildings
Metals like steel are known for their durable nature. Steel has high tensile strength, and it offers excellent durability you can always count on. Compared to other customary building materials, it can better withstand natural climatic changes and phenomenons, such as heavy winds, rainfall, hailstorms, fire, downpours, seismic activities, etc. A metal building is a one-time investment activity that needs low maintenance and shows high performance throughout the years.
Today, we are living in a world where before using a product, we check whether it is recyclable or not. Choosing suitable recyclable steel can help conserve natural resources and contribute to the environment. Using sustainable metal building equipment, components, and practices reduces waste and prevents the environment from deterioration. The more you use steel and other eco-friendly metals in the industrial metal building, the more you save trees and nature.
Reduced Site Impact
One of the best things about prefabricated metal building components is that you do not need larger worksites for construction activities. These are manufactured based on the custom size requirements and are ready to install when reaching the construction site. It prevents erosion, waste, and other environmental disturbances. The metal building also offers an option of flexible customization. You can plan and have your dream building with personalized designs without worrying about the high costs of installation or customization.
It might surprise you, but a well-insulated steel building can reduce your energy bills by up to 50%. When a building is insulated correctly, it resists the heat transfer between itself and its surroundings. Consequently, the energy consumption needed to regulate the temperature decreases significantly. The same concept can also apply to auto-motive metal buildings where temperature regulation is crucial both for workers and installers.
Moreover, picking the right cool metal roofing colors can also help save energy by reflecting the sun’s heat instead of absorbing it. It helps maintain the temperature and makes the interior of the buildings cool.
Low Maintenance and Cost-Saving
Even a tiny wooden or timber shed requires high maintenance, such as painting, damp proofing, and many more. All these processes do not only burn a hole in your pocket but affect your surroundings too. However, on the other hand, the industrial metal building comes with infused paints that are highly durable and do not fade away quickly. Therefore, steel buildings require less maintenance and save your additional expenses. In addition, steel buildings are easily installable, reducing the extra cost of laborers and installers.
With so many sustainable benefits, it might be clear how the modern metal building is better than traditional construction activities. Apart from cost and maintenance, the metal buildings are also profitable in terms of construction time as they could also be completed 20%-50% faster than conventional construction. Prefabricated steel buildings are an excellent choice for manufacturing and storage facilities, such as warehouses, distribution centers, etc. Being a building owner, it is crucial to consider all the possibilities to make the right decision. However, with top-quality industrial metal building components and proficiency in the construction field, you can have the building you have always dreamt of.