As we head into 2019, we would be remiss if we didn’t acknowledge a hot and popular trend in the world of prefabricated steel construction right now. As part of the rustic obsession seen throughout weddings, events, and curated content, more and more people are considering the cozy and warm benefits of living in a barndominium.
Quite simply, a barndominium is a metal barn that has been converted into living spaces. Yes, barns aren’t just for animals anymore – they can be cut and sculpted using steel to create a creative and spacious living environment that is as homey feeling as possible.
Due to the customization element available in steel prefabrication construction, a barndominum can satisfy a variety of tastes and preferences, as well as family sizes. In one HGTV demonstration, a barndominium featured 4 bedrooms on the first floor, with the kitchen and living room on the second floor – talk about original.
Let’s continue to look at the main features of these structures and why you should consider one in the future.
Barndominium Standard Features
We’re going to break down the constructive elements now that go into the making of these modular structures:
• Energy Efficient Windows: Only the best energy efficient window panes are used and installed into barndominiums, helping to keep the cold out in the winter, and the cool in during the summer. With these energy efficient windows, energy bills remain low, making it an affordable option.
• PEX Plumbing: A premium plumbing system is installed into the barndominium, just like any average home.
• Concrete Slab: The structure is based on a 100% concrete slab for ultimate support and durability.
• Stained Concrete Floors: Add customization to your home through different staining techniques. Just like any regular home, you can completely decorate and refine the interior of your barndominium home.
• Insulation: The U.S. Department of Energy’s website says heating and cooling account for 50% to 70% of the energy used in the average American home. Click here to find out more!
• Tall Ceilings: Ceilings up to 9 feet tall are available within barndomium structures.
• Metal Partitions: Create as many rooms as you want, as our team installs metal partitions that seal off living areas in an energy efficient layout.
• Roof Extensions: You can extend the reach of your home with a custom roof extension that can extend out over a porch or doorway.
Many more constructive elements and benefits are included through our barndominiums depending upon your project request and requirements.
Why Should You Want a Barndominium?
Now that we’ve looked at the trend of barndominiums and what exactly goes into their construction, why should you want one?
- Affordable: Prefabricated steel structures are available at a fraction of the cost that goes into traditional home construction today. Using a premade steel structure with steel partitions atop a concrete slab, barndominiums can be made in a fraction of the conventional time, which is why we’re able to keep costs low for you. It’s an affordable solution you and your family can actually consider.
- Easy to Maintain: Unlike other building elements, steel is a durable metal that does not weather or decay. Built with concrete, it’s incredibly easy to maintain this kind of structure, as well as the stained concrete floors, ensuring no mold, grease, or bacteria is able to build up overtime.
- Durable: Is there anything more durable than steel and concrete? The answer is no. This combination makes an incredibly weather resistant structure that is able to endure temperature fluctuations, storms, warm and moist climate, as well as cold and windy weather. Backed with spray foam insulation, you’ll never have to worry about the durability of your home again.
- Customizable: We all want a say in what our home looks like. It can be boring and discouraging to work with traditional building plans for cookie-cutter homes. With barndominiums, the sky is the limit to how you see your living quarters. You can even pursue home extensions, porches, and more while you work with our team to customize the home of your dreams.
- Energy Efficiency: Prefabricated steel has been proven to work as a tremendous energy efficient agent, keeping the cold out in the winter, and cool in during the summer. As a result, your monthly energy bill will be substantially lower, saving you money in the process.
Your Personal Retreat from Reality.
Say goodbye to the cookie cutter home layouts of the past. Barndominiums can even bring people and families together, as this family described recently. They’re your own personal retreat from reality where you and your family can make memories.
Timeless Elegance, Made Easy with Steel
When we think of barns, we think of warmth, a shelter, and a classiness that has kept animals, baby animals, and people warm and dry for centuries. Barns are part of the American idea of home and togetherness. This kind of sympathetic connection and compassion is exactly what’s fueling the movement to pursue more rustic decorations and structures in today’s culture. And with prefabricated steel building techniques, you can have that rustic elegance in a layout and style that is unique to you.
Coastal Steel Structures
We are one of the world’s most trusted steel prefabricated builders and designers, creating buildings that withstand the test of time, every single time. We are proud to be offering barndominiums as one of our building service specialties, working with clients to finalize a layout that is unique and right for them. With the creative potential of a barn as the base, we are having tremendous fun working within this building trend. Most importantly, we are able to provide clients with a fast, easy, customizable, and affordable alternative to the traditional houses of the world.
If you’re looking to pursue a new kind of home with a timeless warmth, consider a barndominium with our team today.
For more information on the barndominium , CLICK HERE or give us a call 888-783-3535.
You can also reach us on Twitter at @coastalsteel.
And, don’t forget to subscribe, share and comment!