Are you considering whether to build a riding arena? Planning and building an arena can be enjoyable and exciting. And they make for a terrific addition to a custom-built horse barn. Here are a few things to consider before purchasing.
Planning Your Riding Arena:
for starters, it’s best to talk to someone who has experience in designing, erecting, and constructing an indoor arena.
Note: One thing to consider is that most people who own an arena spend a great deal of time and money on facility management.
Arena Sizes & Arena Usage
The type of riding being done will determine the required size. For example, a standard multipurpose arena is around 70’ x 200’, whereas a driving arena is typically 130’ x 260’. The larger designs listed below are also considered standard sizes.
Standard Riding Arena
- 70’x130’ or 9,100 Square feet
- 70’x200’ or 14,000 Square feet (ideal for Dressage)
- 100’x200’ or 20,000 Square feet
- 130’x260 or 33,800 Square feet
- 130’x330 or 42,900 Square feet
Competition Jumping Arena
- 660’x660’ or 435,600 Square feet
Considerations for Sitework
One of the first steps you will need to make is the selection of a suitable location of your riding arena. You will want to select a site that has the following, as a minimum:
- Firm and level ground
- Proximity to utilities
- Easy access
- Good natural drainage
Benefits of Prefabricated Steel Structure
Potential for future expansion
- New pre-engineered buildings allow for the maximum amount of unobstructed riding space; no columns, pillars or poles to get in the way. Buildings can be engineered to be 200′ wide with an infinite length.
- Most pre-engineered steel structures can be delivered to your site pre-drilled, cut, welded, and ready to assemble. Additionally, your prefab steel building should come with an instruction manual, like a sizeable 3D jigsaw puzzle, to assist in the erection of the structure in a step-by-step method. Easy construction is one of the decisive advantages of building with steel with 70 percent of the work being done offsite; many consumers can build the structure themselves, saving big money on labor costs!
- Prefabricated riding arenas are also very durable. As a result, most manufacturing companies are willing to offer multi-year warranties on arenas and arena barn combination buildings. It’s not unusual to find 25-year warranties on rust perforation, as well as 40-year warranties on wall coating and trims, while some individual products such as fasteners can even come with a lifetime warranty.
For more information on Riding Arenas, CLICK HERE or give us a call 888-783-3535
You can also Tweet us @coastalsteel
And don’t forget to subscribe, share, and comment!